, a small village with a population of just over 1000, rests in the arms of the „Blonde” Tisza river and the Holt-Tisza oxbow lake, 120 km south-east of Budapest and 30 km east of Kecskemét
. The village has preserved its original features to these days
. Its cozy little streets have just recently been discovered by visitors from the neighboring cities.
Szolnok, the capital of Jasz-Nagykun-Szolnok County
, is situated in the heart of the Great Hungarian Plain, 62 miles (100 km) southeast of Budapest, at the junction of rivers Tisza and Zagyva.
Szolnok has a very colorful cultural life. Opportunities for active recreation
also abound in Szolnok. Its two rivers invite for boat tours, fishing
, or a refreshing swim.
The county seat of Csongrad County, Szeged is located where the Tisza and the Maros meet. Most of the city lies at the right side of the Tisza, but its suburbia, New Szeged is on the left side of the river.
The "Paprika Capital" of Hungary, Kalocsa is located on the left side of the Danube, 75 miles from Budapest.
The Archbishopric of Kalocsa was founded by St. Stephen in 1001
, and the city's first Archbishop, Bishop Astrid had the honor of bringing the Holy Crown to Saint Stephen
, founder of the Christian state of Hungary.
Image: Statue of Asztrik
on Kalocsa's Szt. Istvan Street
The largest town in the Hajdusag Region, Hajduboszormeny was populated even in the Stone Age
, as testified by artifacts
from that period exhibited at the local museum
The second largest city in population in the region called Hajdúság, Hajdúszoboszló is located 140 miles from Budapest and 12 miles from Debrecen along Route 4
. The Tartar invasion almost completely destroyed the city, and the area was resettled by the heyducks of István Bocskai in 1606. Its upswing commenced from the end of October 1925, when a drilling for oil brought up crystal-clear, 163 ◦F thermal water
is located on the Hungarian Great Plains (Alföld
), 22 miles from the Romanian border and about 160 miles from Budapest.
The Main Square is a green island of serenity in downtown Kecskemet. Locals and tourists alike enjoy sitting on the benches
, watching the kids at play, the teenagers showing off their bicycle and skateboard skills, or just enjoying the sunshine and waiting for the 37, famous bells of the Mayor’s Hall to start playing
Kecskemet, the County seat of Bacs-Kiskun County
, is located between the rivers Danube and Tisza, midway between Budapest and Szeged. At 100 km from Budapest (Hungary), 300 km north of Belgrade (Serbia) and 250 km North-West of Timisoara (Romania), the city offers good connection to the rest of Eastern Europe